Freelance Writing Job Requirements You Need To Be Aware Of
Freelance writing can be very lucrative and can be an excellent source of income if you are a stay-at-home mom or just like to work from home. Here are some freelance writing job requirements that you need to be aware of:
- You need to be able to assess the job you are being asked to do so you can get a good idea of how long it will take so you can price the job accordingly as well as get it done by the deadline that is requested.
- You need to have knowledge of the different types of essays that you may be asked to write. You may be asked to write a compare and contrast essay one minute and a synthesis essay another. There are many different types of essays and you need to know the components of each and what each consists of.
- You need to be aware of the different citation styles that you may be asked to use when completing a writing assignment. Different professors favor different citation styles so when a particular style is assigned by a professor you have to have the most up-to-date formatting information on that particular style.
- You should get your contracts in writing so you both understand what is expected of each of you. This is extremely important, especially for thesis that have rules regarding word count and spacing. If someone tells you they need a 10 page paper, you need to know how the margins should be as well as the spacing between lines so you don’t end up writing something that is not long enough or too long.
- You will be completing work for others and they will be putting their name on the work. You will get no credit for the work. This may be difficult for some people because you will be writing for others and your name will never appear on the writing so you will never get any type of formal credit for the work.
There are many things you will learn as you begin freelance writing. Understand that it is like any other business and you must be persistent. It takes a long time to build any successful business and this is not any different. It is important to keep trying to build good clients and as you build your reputation as a good writer you will be able to increase your prices.