Becoming A Freelance Copywriter—10 Effective Tips For Dummies
Read the ten below tips for advice on becoming a great writer. As a copywriter, you can get all sorts of jobs if you follow these steps:
Tips for starting as a freelance copywriter
- Make sure you really want to do this. If you’ve heard of people making millions online, working in their pajamas, or travelling, and want to do this, let me tell you right now that it won’t be enough. You have to love writing. If writing is your passion, you can do this.
- Getting work is hard at the beginning. You should start with small jobs and even unpaid writing just so you have a portfolio to show the clients that you really want to work for.
- Don’t underestimate your time. If you are paid a flat rate and then it takes you longer to complete the project, you may end up making less than minimum wage per hour.
- Plan for times when there is no work. You will have times you are really busy and brining in extra cash, and then times where income is less and you need savings to help support yourself.
- Being self employed has lots of challenges, so get used to failure, and used to picking yourself back up to try again.
- You will have many “firsts” doing this kind of job, the first time writing about a new topic, or working with a client whose first language may not be English, or talking with a business contact on the phone.
- There might be many times that you want to give up and think this life isn’t for you, but if you still love the writing and the fulfillment of that writing, then it is likely worth the other parts of it you don’t like as much.
- It might seem like there’s this pressure to get really good really fast, but the best thing you can do starting out is just to keep moving ahead, keep making mistakes and learning from them, and be patient.
- Push your limits and always keep learning. Stay up to date with other freelancers and people in the industry, scout out potential new clients, and make contacts.
- Remember that you are not just a writer, but in freelancing you will be a business owner, a salesman, a marketer as well, to inform people about your services.